Looney Labs EcoFluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Eco] Re: Recycling and P&T's Bullshit

  • From"Jonathan Grabert" <jonathang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 31 Jan 2007 18:17:11 -0600
Okay, let's forget about thousands of years. I'll concede to hundreds. (Though I've no doubt that there will still be plenty of oil in 4007, it just won't be used then.) But the point is that we're nowhere close to running out, thereby making invalid the argument that we need to recycle plastic due to dwindling oil. Also invalid is the need to recycle because new paper production accelerates the use of fossil fuels (an argument I'm not ready to accept anyway).

J/

----- Original Message ----- From: <madlab.rabbit.krishaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <eco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 4:12 PM
Subject: [Eco] Re: Recycling and P&T's Bullshit

This one time, at band camp, "Daniel Brashler" <dannob@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

3. The oil too is going away -- it's a finite resource as well.
Again, we are in absolutely no danger of running out of oil for thousands of years. Even if that weren't the case, there *will* be a better fuel source
developed well before we'd run out.  (Solar, anyone?)  There is no oil
crisis due to the earth's supply.

Uh, while Peak Oil's proponents have done the world a disservice with
their immanent apocalypse scenarios, oil will not last thousands of
years if we continue to use it at anything near the present rate.  And
if we continue to ignore this fact and under-develop alternatives then
we won't be prepared when supplies really do drop off.

Having said that, I don't intend to get too worried until the $2 shops
and Red Dot stores run out of plastic crap to sell.

C(K)J.