Looney Labs EcoFluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Eco] (no subject)

  • Frombecca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • DateWed, 7 Feb 2007 12:44:22 -0500 (EST)
Hello, everybody!  I'm the EnviroBecca who ran recycling programs for
Looney Labs at several conventions a few years ago, as well as one of the
authors of The Earthling's Handbook <www.earthlingshandbook.org>, and I
just joined this list.  I wrote a long rant about the P&T show which I
will post soon; some of my points already have been made (I read the list
archives) but some have not.

For now, a response to some of the discussion that's been going on:

> What I was trying
> to articulate was a defense of the motives behind the desire to recycle
> -- I don't think people should feel bad for wanting to take care with
> what they throw away.

I agree.  The problem is that this is not as simple an issue as we might
wish.  It's not a matter of "put everything with a triangle on it into a
blue bin and feel no guilt whatsoever."  Some materials recycle better
than others.  American society has come a long way in the past 15 years in
making recyclable items easier to identify and recycling bins easier to
find...but at the same time, we've drastically increased the amount of
packaging used on many products, the consumption of many products, and the
use of plastic vs. more enviro-friendly materials.

The challenge now is to inspire people to be conscious consumers, to think
about their choices at the point of purchase as well as the point of
disposal.  Some of that is happening with the trend toward organic food.
As always, though, marketing distracts people from the real issues in
favor of urging us to buy buy buy!

> Unfortunately, there isn't any debate about recycling.  When I try to tell
> people that it really doesn't work, I usually get rolled eyes or quickly
> dismissed.  Recycling is an issue that, in general, has moved beyond
> reproach.

Boy, I don't.  The more liberal and/or intelligent people I know don't get
far into a discussion of recycling before they start talking about better
options and the need to "close the loop" by demanding products made from
recycled materials.  Other people either have read/heard/seen something
about how recycling doesn't work (often from economic rather than
environmental perspective; Reader's Digest is the most frequently cited
source) or say recycling is "too hard" and they can't be bothered.

> We're in no
> danger of running out of oil nor are we in danger of running out of land.
> It's like going to the doctor for a runny nose and getting sent in for
> chemotherapy.  This is my biggest problem with the general environmental
> movement.  Everything is a crisis that has to be fixed NOW, and fixed
> using whatever drastic means are necessary.

I see what you mean, and it's a problem I have with many non-profit
organizations: They blow up everything into a crisis in order to motivate
people to send money now.  Certainly there are many issues that are NOT
immediate crises.

But I think your analogy is inaccurate: A runny nose is not a symptom of
cancer, so you're saying that there's no connection between using oil and
someday running out of oil...but there is.  I think that efforts to reduce
oil consumption are more similar to my parents' efforts to save money
throughout my childhood so that they could afford to send me to college.
They really scrimped pretty hard in many areas, motivated by what you
might call a Peak Money scenario that my dad had drawn up, which showed
that in the two years when my brother and I would be in college
simultaneously, they would have only $400 a month to live on.  Well, as it
turned out, my grandma died while I was in high school and left us some
money, and my brother and I both got some scholarships, and my dad got a
raise, so we wound up much better off than predicted.  That doesn't mean
it was wrong to live as if crisis was coming.  All that excess money they
saved is now available for other uses, like their recent trip to Scotland.
The years of economizing taught all of us to be comfortable with a
lower-cost lifestyle, so we continue to have "extra" money to save in case
of future crisis (you never know...) and also to give away to worthy
causes.  I think conserving for the sake of conserving is a fine thing.

> I wanted to say that the best way to help with population growth is to get
> these countries more economically stable and with a higher standard of
> living.  Make it so that you have less infant and child deaths, and so
> that it isn't critical for people to have as many children as they can.

Also, make it so that people who want contraceptives can get them.  This
is a huge problem in parts of Africa and Central and South America, and
it's more of a problem in the USA than you might think.  I recall back in
2000 when Andy and I were debating about Nader, he said it wouldn't be
such a big deal if an anti-abortion president appointed Supreme Court
justices who banned abortion...and he was astonished when I told him that
ONE IN FOUR American pregnancies is aborted, so banning abortion without
increasing contraceptive access and knowledge (something anti-abortion
politicians generally oppose) would mean 1.5 million more mouths to feed
every year.

> But even in the population issue, I don't think we're anywhere near a
> crisis point.  And even so, how can you control it without trampling over
> people's rights?

You can't control, but you can encourage: by making contraception widely
available to those who want it, by providing health insurance coverage for
contraception and abortion as well as birth, by making insurance premiums
increase for each child added to the plan instead of having a "family
rate" such that families with one child pay for those with ten, etc.

There is a wonderful organization called Population Communication
International that funds TV and radio dramas in the developing world and
works with scriptwriters in the developed world to convey, through
fiction, messages about how having smaller families and making smart
decisions about sexual health can improve people's lives.  They have some
good evidence that their stories influence people's personal choices.

---'Becca