Looney Labs EcoFluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Eco] Fascinating!

  • FromGinohn <ginohn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 2 Aug 2007 13:07:39 -0400
In case you don't read to the end, here's a little bon mot from the bottom of the page:

Let’s review what I’ve said here: By not eating beef– and other farm animals as well–you:

· save massive amounts of water – 3,000 to 5,000 gallons of water for every pound of beef you avoid, · avoid polluting our streams and rivers better than any other single recycling effort you do,
·          avoid the destruction of topsoil,
·          avoid the destruction of tropical forest,
· avoid the production of carbon dioxide. (Your average car produces 3 kg/day of CO2. To clear rainforest to produce beef for one hamburger produces 75 kg of CO2. Eating one pound of hamburger does the same damage as driving your car for more than three weeks); · reduce the amount of methane gas produced. (I imagine the next bumper sticker: stop farts, don’t eat beef);
·          reduce the destruction of wildlife habitat, and
·          help to save endangered species.
That’s a pretty good day’s work, for just what you don’t put in your mouth.