Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

[Edu] Thesis Research - Redesigning games to facilitate inclusion

  • FromLisa Timman <maguirlm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSun, 8 Oct 2006 20:02:18 -0400
I am a graduate student at the University of Cincinnati's College of Design, Architecture, Art, and Planning. As a part of my thesis research, I am looking for ways to use my background in Graphic Design/Visual Communication to facilitate social inclusion for children with disabilities.

I am investigating how to redesign an established board game (e.g. Candyland/Chutes and Ladders) that will facilitate inclusion in the family setting among parents and siblings . As an alternative to redesigning a board game, I am also open to opportunities for designing visual devices that can help facilitate play, such as helping a child to initiate play, join play circles, etc.

I would love to hear your feedback on my topic and any issues you have encountered as a teacher or parent in facilitating play and social inclusion for children with disabilities. Either in engaging in board game play with children with disabilities, or observing such play, what issues have you perceived? Or, what things have you observed that has prohibited children with disabilities from engaging in play with typical peers – either being included or initiating play?

Also, if you are aware of any resources or existing studies in this area, this would be very helpful!

I look forward to hearing your comments!

Sincerely,
Lisa Timman