Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

[Fluxx] (Family Fluxx) Bring back MacArthur's Park Goal

  • Fromkerry_and_ryan@xxxxxxx
  • DateWed, 05 Oct 2005 21:12:28 +0000
I was saddened when the decision was made to remove the "Someone left the cake out in the rain" goal from (then) Fluxx Jr.  It made sense because the game was ostensibly "for kids."  However making it FAMILY Fluxx implies to me that it's a game to be played by mixed age groups, and cards like the Parent and Grandparent Bonuses reinforce that.  If that's the case, then perhaps some cards SHOULD be included that aren't specifically juvenile.  I think making a "MacArthur's Park" goal that relies on the Cake and Rain keepers would A) be a great "inside" joke for the people old enough to understand it, and 2) possibly stimulate some conversation when the kids ask what the parents are laughing about.

Is calling it "MacArthur's Park" better (or at least no worse than) than calling it by the longer "Someone..."?  I think so.  Firstly, if someone is would be confused by "MacArthur's Park", the longer title won't help them realize that it's a song allusion.  Secondly, it's easier to google.  Thirdly, it would be easier to fit on a card.  Fourthly, two-step jokes are one step better than one-step jokes.  And lastly, the players dont' really need to get the allusion to play the game; this goal requires those two keepers and that's it.

C'mon, who's with me?

(...or am I missing the reason it removed the first time?)