Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Rabbits] [Fluxx] Question for Ask Andy

  • FromJoseph Pate <jpate@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 20 Mar 2007 15:40:04 -0800 (PST)
I posted a reply to the BGG forum...

X=X+1/Inflation have no effect on Hand Limit 0, due to the use of "any"
and "all" instead of numerals like 0.

The "If you have 2 or more cards" translation, while admittedly confusing,
is ultimately irrelevant.

That's my strict interpretation -- but naturally, Andy has the final say
on how he intended those cards to interact, and each Fluxx session has
the final say on whether to handle that combo another way (house rules)

Cheers,
        Ankhst

> I'm not sure if this is the best list to fire this at, but my
> subscription to the Fluxx list doesn't work...
>
> Anyway, have a look at the discussion at:
>
> http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1399540
>
> Between the posters who completely fail to understand what's going on
> there's an interesting thing about how Inflation (X=X+1) interacts with
> Hand Limit 0, the latter having expressed its rule using two sentences,
> one of which uses no numerals and the other which does.
>
> > The "Hand Limit 0" card says: "If it isn't your turn, you cannot hold any
cards." No numerals (or even spelled-out numbers) involved -- you can't hold ANY
cards, inflation or not. Additionally, "If you have 1 or more cards in your
hard, discard them immediately." That's the interesting part -- it becomes "If
you have 2 or more cards..." However, based on the first sentence, you can't
ever hold any cards.