Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

[Fluxx] Larry!

  • FromJody Chandler <windblownhermit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 17 Jul 2008 13:48:04 -0700 (PDT)
Hello all, wanted some input on a question that came up in a game of Zombie Fluxx last night.  It's a basic question about Larry.  Sorry if this repeats old questions to the list.  It seems to me in principle the question would have come up and been answered many times.
Basically the question is if a goal is changed for a win, but Larry is in play and is caused by the goal change to move to the player who otherwise fulfills the goal, does Larry simultaneously prevent that player from winning, or does the win occur before Larry moves?

In our game, everyone on the table had Zombies in play, but the Zombie's Ain't So Bad rule was also in play.  My friend had the Car keeper and no Friends on the table, and so naturally played the goal I Alone Survived FTW or so he thought--sitting next to him as I was, I had Larry amongst my Creepers.  As he laid down the new goal, I had not yet realized his intention was to win, so I just tossed Larry his way.  He said "I win"...then I realized the dilemma and said "but you now have Larry, so you can't win".  He said "But don't I win because winning is instant when I changed the goal?"  We settled on the notion that Larry's migration is also simultaneous with the changing of the goal and so legally prevents the win at the exact instant that it would have occurred.  Is this in keeping with the rules?