Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

[Fluxx] Andy's Article & Meta Rules

  • From"James Hazelton" <jameshazelton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 1 Sep 2008 00:20:04 -0500
http://www.wunderland.com/WhatsOld/2008/WN.08.28.08.html

Wow! Meta Rules! I never realized how much I needed codified house-rules until I read this. There are so many potential uses--my mind is reeling with just cards that affect the start of the game! Random starting hand size, free mulligan, charleston, upsidedown deck, go-fish style drawing, even a Meta Rule that randomly selects other Meta Rules!

Even if you don't end up printing a set of filled out cards, can I please get a set of Meta Blanxx? I'll need one for the Border's Bonus and one for the Night Forest, plus more to play around with. Question: What will they have on the back? My guess is they'll be like the old style of Basic Rules--white with black lettering.

Also, I'm glad that, after hours of debate, we finally went with the Gygaxian approach to the card text. ("It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. Never hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you, if it goes against the obvious intent of the game.") I think the new Meta compromise works out fine. It allows those who play that way in their groups to continue to legally do so, but if I ever join the game, I can out-vote it.

On to promos. I'm happy to see that the flamethrower pack can be purchased--I don't have an LL super store anywhere near me. But the 1,2,5 promo postcard--will that come to my house like the others, or should I purchase it? I'd hate to miss out. I was thinking about how I might rule how it interplays with some of the other cards in my deck. I use Inflation, Deflation, and Standardization (everything = 3), so I don't really want 1,2,5 to come into affect and nuke all three at once. I think I'll have 1,2,5 apply first, and apply the others from there. So 1,2,5 and Standardization would cancel out in instances where the original number is 3.

I will refrain from commenting on treehouse dice and dogs, as this is directed at the Fluxx list. Goodnight, folks.

James