Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

[Fluxx] Happy New Year Fluxx

  • FromBryan Stout <stoutwb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 28 Dec 2009 14:01:26 -0500
As promised, here is the description of my Happy New Year Fluxx expansion.

Last year, after doing several expansion packs' worth of cards in
anticipation of Monty Python Fluxx, and then doing Christmas Carol
Fluxx, I wasn't planning or even wanting to do more for a while.  But,
the ideas for a New Year's expansion kept occurring to me, so I gave
in, made it and played it.  Hope you enjoy it, too.

- Goal: 3 … 2 … 1 … Happy New Year!
  You win if The Party is on the table, and you have exactly 3
non-Party Keepers on the table in front of you.
[Note that this assumes you have either Fluxx 4.0 or the 10th
Anniversary pack in the deck.]

- Keeper: Father Time
  May count as Time, Death, the Grim Reaper, a Friend or generic Human.

- Keeper: Baby New Year
  May count as Time, Dreams, a generic Knight, a Friend or generic Human.

- Goal: Ring Out the Old, Ring In the New
  You win if you have Father Time and Baby New Year on the table in
front of you.

- Meta Rule: Resolutions
  At the start of the game, each player gets a random Goal card, which
is their Resolution.  Players keep their Resolutions on the table
throughout the game; they may not be discarded, taken or given, unless
a card that refers to Resolutions says otherwise.
  A player wins by fulfilling the conditions of the common Goal, or
their individual Resolution.

- Action: Exchange Resolutions
  Pick any two Resolutions on the table, and exchange them.  The
respective players use their new resolutions.
  If you are not playing with Resolutions, exchange any two Keepers on
the table.

- Action: Turn Over a New Leaf
  All players may choose to discard their Resolutions.  Then shuffle
the draw and discard piles together, and each player without a
Resolution draws until getting a Goal card, which becomes their new
Resolution.  Then reshuffle the discard and draw piles together to
make the new draw pile.
  If you are not playing with Resolutions, just shuffle the draw and
discard piles together.

Here are some finer points about the cards:
  In Monty Python Fluxx, Baby New Year may not count as any specific
Knight (e.g. Sir Lancelot), but it may count as a Knight toward Goals
that require a certain number of Knights.  In Martian Fluxx, Baby New
Year and Father Time count as generic Humans, but are still Keepers,
not Creepers.
  If you play with the Christmas Carol expansion too, you still win by
fulfilling your Resolution even if I Am A Changed Man is in play.

A happy 2010 to all!

Bryan