Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Fluxx] Fwd: Re: G.K. Chesterton Fluxx?

  • From"Ryan McGuire" <ryanmcguire@xxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 18 Feb 2010 21:36:12 -0500
Andy and Kristin are mentioned as designers.  Did they actually know about
the game or were their names added as a c.y.a. move?

-----Original Message-----
From: fluxx-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:fluxx-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mark D. McKean
Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2010 8:26 PM
To: Fluxx Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Fluxx] Fwd: Re: G.K. Chesterton Fluxx?

On Feb 18, 2010, at 9:41 am, Elliott C. Evans wrote:

> Ryan H. wrote:
>> Looks like another publisher is "borrowing" the Fluxx engine
>> for a re-themed knock-off.
>> [...]
>> Here's what the publisher has to say in his defense:
>> http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/496291/fluxx
>
> Yeah, it sure does look like he's admitting it's based on Fluxx.
>
> The BGG page gives credit to the sources of the quotes and artwork,
> but not the source of the game mechanic? Shame.

He argues that he's not doing anything illegal. He may be correct
about that. But from my point of view, it's not about what's legal;
it's about what's right. Openly acknowledging that you stole a game
mechanic from another designer who then requests that you desist, and
yet refusing to do so by hiding behind "legality", is disrespectful
and crass. I hope everyone on BGG reads that thread and decides to
support Andy by not acquiring this ripoff.

Mark

--
Mark D. McKean - The Quantum Panda
qpanda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx