Re: [Icehouse] [Icetowers] End of Tournament Games

  • FromJoshua Kronengold <mneme@xxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 6 Jul 2006 14:08:07 -0500
kerry_and_ryan@xxxxxxx writes:
>That's closer than I thought, but since the highest score through the
>first three rounds was a 41 and the highest I recall ever was a 48, I
>don't feel too bad for calling the tourney.

I've seen/gotten scores in the 60ish range, but those were, I think,
in 5-6 player Giant Icehouse games, where there are a lot more points
at stake, and worse players you can take them from.

In a 4 player game with good players, it's pretty hard to score that
much under 20 or over 40, since even getting those scores usually
seems to mean that someone's handing away points like they're on
fire (ie, someone's pieces have to be very spread out so they're
vulnerable -- but good players won't spread their pieces out that far
and won't let themselves get split any more than they can help).

Oh, and funniest moment in the tournament?  Second game, I sit down
next to Andy.  He was playing green at that table in the first round;
I want green (I always want green).  He says ok, and takes, like, yellow.

So...we start.  Midway through the game, I've managed some  terrific
splits (far more than I'd expect for a tournament)...and on, like, the
third split, I realize my color is on top of the split-off tower (say
what?).  It's at this point that both of us simultaneously figure out
what's going on -- we are -both- playing green!  (we started that game
over, for some reason).

--
       Joshua Kronengold (mneme@(io.com, labcats.org)) |\      _,,,--,,_  ,)
--^--   "Did you know, if you increment enough, you   /,`.-'`'   -,  ;-;;'