Re: [Icehouse] porting another game to Icehouse

  • From"Don Sheldon" <don.sheldon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 8 Sep 2006 18:34:51 -0400
On 9/6/06, Tony Vigil <tjvigil66@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At GenCon, Wizkids demoed a new board game called Oshi.  Oshi is a simple
yet strategic game of moving your pieces into position to push your
opponent's pieces off of the board.  The Oshi game board consists of simple
9x9 grid.  Each player starts the game with pieces that come in three sizes
with point values that match their sizes... 1, 2 and 3.  Unfortunately, due
to Oshi's board layout and the number of 1 pointers required for each
player, the game isn't 100% compatible with the Icehouse game system.  Minor
modificaitons were required to make it work with standard single color
icehouse stashes and typical checker boards.

*snikt rules*

Having not played Oshi, I can't comment on how close your port it, but
it sounds like a simple and intricate enough game.  And now to babble
about your optional rules:

1) as your selected piece's movement, you can choose to not move the piece
but rather lay it down on it's side pointing left, right, up or down.  The
piece cannot be pushed in the direction that the piece is pointing.

Is there a rule to stand back up?  When you move again?  As another
turn before you're /allowed/ to move that piece again?  This rule is
incomplete and begs many questions.  (And as a quibble, it makes more
sense visually, to me, if they can't be pushed in the direction
/opposite/ that they are pointing.  It's like the piece is bracing
itself against the coming onslaught.  Perhaps that would be better
written as "cannot be pushed by enemy pieces coming from the direction
in which it is pointing.")

2) As your selected piece's movement, you can choose to hop over pieces at
the cost of  sacrificing one of your other pieces for each piece that you
hop over.  The total distance your selected piece moves is still limited by
the selected piece's point value and you can't land on a space that already
contains another piece.

I find myself wondering why you would add this.  Every rule makes the
game more complex and more inelegant.  Does the balance on this rule
come out in favor of improving the game over all?  My gut says no but,
of course, I haven't experimented.  Is the sacrificed piece counted as
lost for ending the game (I assume yes, but it's not explicitly
stated)?  Can I get rid of /any/ piece?  When you say "[t]he total
distance your selected piece moves is still limited by the selected
piece's point value" does "selected piece" mean the discarded piece,
or the piece that is moving?  It seems like the moving  piece but then
there is no advantage to losing a larger piece, which may be what
you're going for, I just want to be clear.

I'd like to hear what you guys think!

And now you have!

--
 How did I come to be so insane about rule specificity?  Must be the