Re: [Icehouse] RE: Zendo rules question

  • FromBrian Campbell <lambda@xxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 19 Dec 2006 21:36:36 -0500
On Dec 19, 2006, at 9:17 PM, Timothy Hunt wrote:

And then there was one that came up in a discussion at a convention a
while back; I think the eventual conclusion was that "AKHTBN iff it
contains a 'katsu trap'" could not quite be turned into a valid rule.

"katsu trap"?

Katsu, in Zendo, is when you knock a koan over, so you lose the structure and might not be able to put it back together properly. For instance, a weird piece balanced on the tip of an upright piece is fairly easy to bump and knock over accidentally. Or two weird pieces, both grounded, balanced precariously with their tips touching each other. I think those are what would be considered "katsu traps", since they're so easy to cause a katsu on.