Re: [Icehouse] 3House Homeworlds worlds.

  • From"Don Sheldon" <don.sheldon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 26 Jan 2007 17:08:30 -0500
On 1/26/07, kerry_and_ryan@xxxxxxx <kerry_and_ryan@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I was just thinking about playing Binary Homeworlds with three Treehouse sets (regardless of the Xeno color -> power assignments).  As currently specified, the game requires cards or poker chips or somesuch to designate the players' homeworlds.  I couldn't help but notice that there are nine black (or clear or orange) pyramids that aren't being used for anything.  Why not just use large black pieces as the base for each player's homeworld?  The most obvious advantage is that fewer extra pieces of hardware would be needed.  Heck, for the "wander around when it's not my turn" type of B.Homeworlds game, which I saw at Origins, you could use the third large black as the Turn Marker.

That seems like a fine idea.

This could even be extended to four-player Homeworlds with 5House.  Each person gets a whole nest of blacks.  Hiding either a small or a medium black under your large black would show whether you're playing EVIL or GOOD, respectively (small -> EVIL because they both end with an L.)

Are there any drawbacks?  Would having a pyramid as a homeworld base be disconcerting?  i.e. How many times a game would you look across the table and, even momentarily, wonder what power a black pyramid has?

And this would work well too but you have to be sure to properly
randomize who gets what and maintain the secrecy.  I'm thinking that
having a small-medium-large for good and nothing-medium-large for
evil.  That way you won't accidentally shake it and know that rattling
means evil.

Or, if you're properly equipped, you can use black and white (and then
cover them with gray!).

But don't cards seem easier?

--