[Icehouse] Rhythm Icehouse variant

  • From"Jorge Arroyo" <trozo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 7 Aug 2008 00:38:03 +0200
Hi all,

  This idea just occurred to me today and I thought I could share it in the list. I don't get many chances to play Icehouse and it's a game that really interests me, so from time to time I read and think about it (and today was one of those times)

  What I thought was, how could the game be made easier for new players to play with experienced ones so that the new players don't get overwhelmed by the quickness of the experienced ones? The idea is to place a metronome near the area of play. Decide on a speed setting (like 3 seconds, for example) and add a rule so that a player can only place one piece on the table each tick of the metronome, so if the setting is 3 seconds, then you won't be able to play more than 1 piece each 3 seconds of play. I can imagine once you get into the rhythm of the game it would be pretty easy to follow it (like tapping your foot with a song).

  This seems like a nice way to slow down the pace of the game so that it becomes less confusing for new players. The speed can be then increased as the players get more confident until it's not needed anymore.

  I'd love to hear your thoughts, especially if you try it out. I'll see if I can try it out myself with my girlfriend and see how it goes...

  And sorry if this has been discussed already, I've seen no mention of anything like this on the web but I haven't checked the archives of the list...

-Jorge