Re: [Icehouse] Ice Age endangered species

  • From"Ryan McGuire" <ryanmcguire@xxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 17 Aug 2010 20:01:02 -0400

Welcome to the List!

To be honest, Caveman/Mastodon balance has been a big problem all along.  During playtesting the results came out to something like 80-20% in favor of the Cavemen.  If I recall correctly (and it has been a couple years), in the couple games where the Mastodons won, a reasonable configuration was to have a couple Mastodons in a row with one end against the edge of the board.  e.g. B1 and B2.  That seemed to strike a reasonable balance between protecting exposed flanks and still maintain some mobility.

If you want to take on the task, you could try tweaking the rules to see if there is a way to balance the power of the two sides.  One possibility would be to reduce the number of Cavemen.  Another one would be to somehow increase the power and/or mobility of the Mastodons.  I’m not _positive_ there is a way to balance things.  Let me know if you come up with anything that looks promising.

If you have a Treehouse set and a Volcano board (and you’re not yet completely turned off to Ryan McGuire games) might I suggest Ice Dao?

    http://ryanker.com/IcehouseGames/IceDao/IceDao.html

The game requires two smalls in addition to the medium and large for each player.  You could easily play “warm” versus “cool” colors.  i.e. Red Large, Yellow Medium, Red Small, Yellow Small against a similar Blue/Green force.

Ryan