[Rabbits] Re: Wiki Under Spambot Assault

  • From"Edward Lorden" <elorden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSat, 27 Oct 2007 15:10:57 -0500

A website for which I am responsible has had similar attacks.  While investigating CAPTCHA alternatives, I found several articles on the drawbacks of the technology.  While it can help with some spambot attacks, there are others that will be able to crack many of these methods without too much trouble.  One of the most insidious is called the Man in the Middle scenario.  In this scenario, the attacker has set up a free porn website and uses your CAPTCHA image as part of the sign up criteria.  In this way, a human being provides the solution in the CAPTCHA puzzle which is then used to gain access to your site.  I provide this information more as a warning than anything else.  I’ve gone ahead and implemented a CAPTCHA puzzle but have continued to look for other ways to verify that it is a human that is actually accessing the site.  If you wish, I can provide more details as they become available.

Sincerely,

Ed Lorden

Student Technical Underling/Developer, Lab Rabbit