Re: [Rabbits] Nanofictionary ripoff? (Possibly?)

  • FromBrian Campbell <lambda@xxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 1 Jan 2008 03:48:51 -0500
From http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/15038:
The Storybook Game includes 54 cards with a word on them. Players take turns drawing cards and telling a story with the cards, but with a slight twist -- the first player begins the story with the first card drawn, and then places the card face-down on the top of the deck. He then passes the deck to the next player, who must re- tell that portion of the story from memory, showing the card as he does so. He then draws the next card, and adds to the story using the word on that card. He places these two cards face-down on the top of the deck and passes the deck to the next player. This procedure continues from player to player, so that the further along the game goes, the more difficult it is to remember the order of the story.

Players who cannot remember the order of the cards -- and the story -- are out of the game, and the last player left in the game is the winner.

This sounds nothing like Nanofictionary, other than both of them involve storytelling. In fact, this sounds like a variation of the picnic alphabet game, a folk game that is almost certainly in the public domain.

There are lots of storytelling games out there, public domain and not. Some other examples that spring to mind are Once Upon A Time, The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen, and, in a sense, just about any roleplaying game. There's even a whole book about storytelling games, Second Person, which is a fascinating read for anyone interested in that sort of game, though sadly it's missing any articles on Nanofictionary, which I consider to be one of the better games of the genre.