Looney Labs Something Mailing list Archive

[Something] an urgent plea from Kristin...

  • FromKristin Looney <klists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 15 Jun 2005 09:05:33 -0400
Congress is voting TODAY (Wed 6/15/05) on medical marijuana.

It's the Hinchey-Rohrabacher thing again -- that would bar the U.S. Department of Justice from raiding, arresting, and prosecuting patients who are using medical marijuana in the 10 states where it's legal under state law.

last year we asked our representative to change his vote:
<http://wunderland.com/WhatsOld/2004/WN.06.10.04.html>
and he did!
<http://wunderland.com/WhatsOld/2004/WN.07.08.04.html>

MPP has last-minute intelligence that many members of Congress are on the fence and need to hear from their constituents. They asked me to encourage all of my friends to call their US representatives...

If you were disappointed by the Supreme Court ruling last week...
<http://www.wunderland.com/WhatsOld/2005/WN.06.09.05.html>

Please call your U.S. representative right NOW. Even messages right up to the time of the vote could impact the swing votes in Congress - and the Supreme Court as much as told Congress last week that it is up to them to make this happen.

It's REALLY easy:

Call the capitol switchboard at 202-224-3121, give the operator your zip code, and ask to be connected to your representative; you don't need to know your representative's name to do this, just give them your zip code.

If you're not sure what to say when you call, here's some guidance. When the receptionist for the congressperson -- not the capitol receptionist -- answers the phone, say:

"Hi, this is [name]. I live in [city], and I understand that my representative needs to decide today how to vote on the Hinchey-Rohrabacher medical marijuana amendment to the Science-State-Justice-Commerce bill. I'm calling to ask for a vote IN FAVOR of this amendment."

Even if you have called before - call again today just to follow up and let your congressperson know that you know people who suffer from debilitating pain who find relief and a MUCH greater quality of life through the use of medical marijuana.

Hinchey-Rohrabacher = Hinch-e/Roar-bocker

Thank You. Thank You.

Drop me an email and let me know you called... it will make me smile.  :)

If you have time, and are so inclined - please call your friends - or forward this email - and ask them to make a call this morning as well.

-Kristin (of the Looney variety)
<http://wunderland.com/LooneyLabs/StonerFluxx/KristinsMMStory.html>