Looney Labs Something Mailing list Archive

Re: [Something] Rubix Cube Costume

  • From"Elliott C. Evans" <eeyore@xxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 4 Oct 2006 05:38:43 -0700 (PDT)
TheLoneGoldfish wrote:
> Found via fark... http://www.flickr.com/photos/fcb/sets/1267693

Ah, that takes me back. I remember making a cube costume in, I think
1982 or '83. Mine was unarticulated, just a corrugated box covered in
27 pieces of contruction paper and 3 or 4 rolls of electrical tape. I
think there were a few similar costumes in my elementary school that
year.

Dale Newfield wrote:
> If you just make the cube smaller so that it just fits around your
> body under your arms, the top layer can be turned 45 degrees and
> have your shoulders in the corners, with your arms able to come out
> through the exposed surface.

The main benefit of his larger design is that the layers are separate
and can be rotated. You design would be more static. Only the bottom
layer could rotate without severing your arms. (Although a Halloween
costume with arm-severing, blood-squirting effects would be cool.)

> It'll make for a fairly small (torso sized cube), so you'd basically
> have to wear all black to make it still look good.

You'd also be able to eat and drink normally, and be able to sit down
if you were careful. These are two absolute requirements I have for
costumes. Another absolute requirement is that my arms must be free
to move (yours: yes! his: not so much.), a lesson I learned the hard
way at a very young age a due to my father's stunning(ly dangerous)
Artoo Deetoo costume.

--
Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans
eeyore@xxxxxxxx