Looney Labs Something Mailing list Archive

Re: [Something] selling at MSRP (was *sigh* on the Rabbits list)

  • Frommiyu <xmiyux@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 6 Jul 2007 14:14:26 -0400
Reading through the lawsuit discussion it sounds like a horrible horrible idea and I really hope it doesn't make it through.  I think back to DVDs and how many of them had a MSRP of like 29.99$ or even 34.99$ but everyone knew it would be 19.99$ in store when it streeted.  Those lower prices are what really drove DVD sales.  If board games consistently were held to high prices online and in a brick and mortar I know I would play far more video games because at least they have a better resale value.

James,
  Toys R Us had a sale - bunches of games 75% off.  The Early American Chrononauts was available for 5$.  Some people ordered and had it shipped, some ordered and had it canceled due to not enough supply.  On the Rabbit list a couple complaints arose and there was discussion of whether it was bait and switch etc.  The Mama Rabbit moved it over here since it is more a Something topic rather than a Rabbit list topic.  She also brought up the lawsuit I was talking about in the first paragraph.

                    -Ryan

On 7/6/07, Kristin <kristin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I moved this from the rabbit list to the something list...

--On July 6, 2007  David Artman <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is a classic bait and switch tactic that should have been illegal
> (as false advertising) since snake oil and automobile undercoating was
> "invented." If *I* were a product producer, this would at least prompt me
> to contact their purchasing director and ask what reparations they have
> planned--guaranteeing the price when restocked is a good start. Depending
> upon my core target demographic, company philosophy, and availability of
> other distribution channels, this shoddy behavior might prompt me to pull
> my products from their store completely and irrevocably.

I am a product producer who would love to irrevocably pull my products
from their store! Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. But who knows,
the way this ruling went down last week:  <http://tinyurl.com/2p7tay>
I might be able to do just that - after a few of the big companies go
fight this out in the courts.

I have NO idea if Ryan <http://tinyurl.com/3cmhkx> is right about anything
he is saying - but it  will be very interesting to see where this goes.

> But I AM a consumer; and Toys R Us just made The S**t List--I vote with
> my dollars, and they just lost all future sales from me or from anyone
> who will hear me describe this situation and agrees with me. There's a
> LOT of great, responsible, even eco-friendly companies that sell toys and
> games and clothes and vehicles and....

How can you expect good service from someone selling a product at a 75%
discount from the manufacturers suggested retail price?

- Kristin (she who needs to get back down to the booth!)