Looney Labs Something Mailing list Archive

[Something] Surrealist riddles

  • FromCarl Worth <cworth@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSat, 07 Feb 2009 12:44:25 -0800
This whenever, Andy wrote:
> Here's a random thing about myself that almost made it onto my list of
> 25 Things -- It's my favorite joke, which is this riddle:
>
>    Q: How many surrealists does it take to screw in a light bulb?
>    A: Two -- one to paint the giraffe orange, and the other to fill
>       the bathtub with brightly colored machine tools!

Which reminded me of one of my favorite jokes, (which I only seem to
remember about once every 5 years or so.

    Q: You're floating down the Amazon river when all of a sudden
       your car breaks down, so how many pancakes does it take to
       fill the Empire State Building?

    [When asnwering, hold hands out about a foot apart from each other.]
    A: About a rock this color.

At least that's the way I've usually told the joke. And of course
there's usually a nice moment of confusion between the question and the
answer. But then there was the time when I shared this with a good
friend of mine who I thought would really appreciate it. But instead of
that moment of confusion, he fired back an immediate response with no
pause at all:

    A: Don't ask me. It's your umbrella.

I like that so much that I'll use that instead, (if the listener
responds with any sort of question at least).

-Carl