Looney Labs Chrononauts Mailing list Archive

Re: [Chrononauts] Very Clean Time Machine in UberChrononauts

  • FromRagnardove@xxxxxxx
  • DateFri, 13 Jan 2006 10:38:56 EST
In a message dated 1/13/2006 4:06:23 A.M. Central Standard Time, adross@xxxxxxx writes:

Speaking of the Very_Clean_Time_Machine:

I'm wondering if, since the Composting New_Rule in Eco-Fluxx has you draw from the _bottom_ of the discard pile, if the Very_Clean_Time_Machine will soon be changed to work the same way (if you draw from the discards, take the bottom card instead of the top card).

Probably not, and here's my odd reasoning why (note: I am not the expert here, just a Rabbit who's played a lot of Looney games and can sometime channel their hippie sort of thinking)

When composting, you put stuff into the top of the bin, stir it around and let it set for a while... then your good stuff (the compost) comes out the bottom of the bin -  you can have an active compost heap, take stuff from the bottom and put new stuff in at the top.  This is mimicked (another good ecological/biological concept, btw) by putting new trashed cards at the top but taking from the bottom.

In Chrononauts, we're talking about time.  The draw card is the future, the discard pile is the past.  Everyone's memory of the recent past (top of the pile) is always much much better than their memory of the distant past (bottom of the pile) so it makes sense that if you're going to learn from the past and use those lessons learned, you'd use the most recent ones... that's why you take from the top of the pile.

I have no idea if this is what Andy and the rest were thinking when they established those rules, but they make sort of good sense to me.

Carol