Looney Labs Chrononauts Mailing list Archive

[Chrononauts] Prelude to Time Wars

  • From"Robert Potter" <oldestgc86@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 06 Apr 2006 09:15:46 -0500
Here's a little bit of the story behind Time Wars of the 24th century...

January 5th, 2304...

Dr. Jean Spareparts was poring over some old formulas and calculations. She had a massive headache...actually two headaches, one in each of her heads. Her six arms were tired from writing so much, and her four legs were exhausted from standing up for the past three hours.

"What am I doing wrong?" she moaned. "It's hopeless, there's simply no way it can be done!"

"You always say that, Doc," said Greg, her helpful and eager lab assisstant.

"I mean it this time!  I'll never get this infernal time machine to work!"

"C'mon, Doc, I'ts not like you to give up so easily!  You can do this!"

Dr. Spareparts smiled doubly. "That's a sweet thing to say, but it's not going to help me break the time barrier. If only I had a sign, some confirmation that the time machine works!"

Just then, a strange blue light filled the lab. It nearly blinded both the doctor and Greg. When the light disappated, there was a vehicle in its place. A vehicle that looked a whole lot like the time machine in Dr. Jean's plans. The door opened, and out stepped someone who looked like Greg, only clean-shaven.

"Hey, Doc," said the stranger. "You said you wanted proof that your machine works, so here I am!"

"But who are you?" she asked.

"I'm Greg! An older Greg from the future. About eight months into the future to be precise."

Dr. S. fainted away. Luckily, the younger Greg was able to catch her before she bonked her heads on the hard floor.

"I should probably go," said the older Greg. "Remember, when she wakes up, she'll think this was all a dream, so make sure she gets right to work."

"Right, gotcha," said the younger Greg. The older Greg got back into the time machine and took off.

Eight months later...

"It works!" Dr. Jean shouted in stereo.  "Greg, come here quick!"

Greg dashed out of the bathroom, his face half-covered in shaving cream. "It's about time!"

"Now, finish shaving!" the doctor ordered. "I need you to go back to eight months ago, so you can give me the confidence to finish the time machine. When you finish that, come right back to this moment in time."

"Gotcha." Greg powered up the Chronomaster, and it disappeared in a flash of blue light. Three seconds later, the vehicle returned.

"What took you so long?" asked Dr. S.

"Oh, after I inspired you eight months in the past, I decided to do some sightseeing in the future."

"What did you see?" Jean asked curiously.

"Well, in the future, almost everyone in the solar system has one of your time machines!"

"Everyone?"

"Just about.  Why?  Is something wrong?"

"I just hope I haven't made a terrible mistake..."

Dr. Spareparts will play a key role in the game. Her near/murder is the first Linchpin in the timeline.