Looney Labs Chrononauts Mailing list Archive

RE: [Chrononauts] Question about Really Fast Timemachine and Super Deluxe Timemachine

  • FromSeth Ruskin <rathorne@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 29 Feb 2008 11:17:08 -0500
By the wording, you would have to draw to replace. The statement says you may do something (play an extra Inverter or Patch after your normal turn action). That something includes a clarification (and draw to replace it) between the commas, so that you know that your hand size does not decrease by one due to using the gadget. Since the clarification is within the sentence, the whole sentence represents one thing that you may choose to do or not do. To have the option to not draw the card, it would need to be a separate statement.

In summary: One phrase, one choice. Two phrases, two choices. Since there's only one phrase, there's only one choice to make.

YMMV,

Seth Ruskin
AKA, GnTar, the evil Teddy Bear Rabbit

Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 09:51:57 -0600
From: carol.townsend@xxxxxxxxx
To: chrononauts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Chrononauts] Question about Really Fast Timemachine and Super Deluxe Timemachine

Not to throw a spanner in the time machine, but I just realized that the sticky part for the REAL rules lawyers is this:  the wording contains a "may" in it.  "If you have this gadget on the table, you may play [yadda yadda] and draw to replace..."

Does the may cover the whole phrase or is there a "may" for both parts.

I know that the "may" is there so that you are not required to activate your Time Machine each turn - you choose when to do so with that "may" there.  However, it can be read:  "you may play...."  and then "you may draw to replace..."

Do you *have* to draw to replace?  Can you choose to do so?  I can't think of any circumstance where I would not want to do so... well, wait, maybe I can, with the Time Vortex there might be a valid strategic reason not to draw a card but.... (shrug) I leave the rest of the discussion for others.