Looney Labs Chrononauts Mailing list Archive

[Chrononauts] Canadian Chrononauts

  • FromWilliam McDuff <wmcduff@xxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 11 Dec 2009 17:16:07 -0400
I've been working on trying to come up with a Canadian version of Chrononauts in my spare time, and I think I've come up with a workable timeline; however, because I didn't study history in college, I keep looking for other opinions.  I figured that I'd submit to the list to get opinions.

There are quite a few missing on here of course, but it's not so much what to add but what to remove.  I've put in the rejected ones at the bottom and why.  If anyone can give some advice, I'd appreciate the help.  I'm pretty close, but the tweaking is the hardest part, I suppose.

I've got a webpage I did for a design course at http://homepage.mac.com/wmcduff/bluenose/other.html which has mostly this information on it as well...

   1.  1812 - Brock Wins at Queenston Heights
          * 1812' British Loses at Queenston Heights
                o ! Affects 1837 and 1867
   2. 1814 - Pemmican Trade Halted
          * 1814' Pemmican, Still Trading Staple
                o ! Affects 1820 and 1885
   3. 1820 - Northwest Company Forced To Merge
          * ; Affected by 1814
   4. 1837 - Lower & Upper Canada Quelled
          * ; Affected by 1812
   5. 1846 - Oregon Boundary Set at 49'
          * 1846' Oregon Boundary Set at 54'40°
                o ! Affects 1858 and 1903
   6. 1859 - Pig Nearly Causes War in San Juans
          * ; Affected by 1846
   7. 1864 - Canadian Politicians Talk
          * 1864' Maritime Politicians Talk
                o ! Affects 1867, 1869 and 1949
   8. 1867 - Canada Confederates
          * ; Affected by 1812 or 1864
   9. 1869 - Newfoundland Stays Out
          * ; Affected by 1864
  10. 1870 - Riel Executes Scott
          * 1870' Riel Exiles Scott
                o ! Affects 1885 and 1990
  11. 1873 - North-West Mounted Police Formed
          * 1873' Northwest Territory Still Dangerous
                o ! Affects 1955 and 1990
  12. 1885 - Riel Hanged
          * ; Affected by 1814 or 1870
  13. 1893 - Lord Stanley Donates Cup To Hockey
          * 1893' Lord Stanley Donates Cup To Football
                o ! Affects 1955 & 1972
  14. 1896 - Gold Discovered In Klondike
          * 1896' Northern Canada Dominated By Natives
                o ! Affects 1903 & 1999
  15. 1903 - Hay-Herbert Gives Panhandle to U.S.
          * ; Affected by 1896 and 1846
  16. 1909 - Arctic Islands Claimed
          * 1909' Northern Canada Dominated By Natives
                o ! Affects 1999
  17. 1917 - Canadians Take Vimy Ridge
          * 1917' Canadians Suffer Heavy Casualties
                o ! Affects 1919
  18. 1919 - Canada Attends Versailles
          * ; Affected by 1917
  19. 1932 - CCF Founded in Calgary
          * 1932' Angry Farmers March To Ottawa
                o ! Affects 1949 and 1961
  20. 1942 - Dieppe Raid Occurs
          * 1942' Dieppe Raid Cancelled
                o ! Affects 1944
  21. 1944 - Canadians Storm Juno Beach
          * ; Affected by 1942
  22. 1949 - Newfoundland Joins Canada
          * ; Affected by 1864 and 1932
  23. 1955 - Riot Erupts Over Rocket
          * ; Affected by 1873 and 1893
  24. 1961 - Medicare passes in Saskatchewan
          * ; Affected by 1932
  25. 1968 - Trudeau Voted Liberal Leader
          * 1968' Winters Voted Liberal Leader
                o ! Affects 1970, 1980, 1982 and 1995
  26. 1970 - Trudeau Enacts Martial Law
          * ; Affected by 1968
  27. 1972 - Canada Wins Summit Series
          * ; Affected by 1893
  28. 1980 - Quebec Votes "No"
          * ; Affected by 1968
  29. 1982 - Constitution Patriated
          * ; Affected by 1968
  30. 1990 - Violence Erupts Near Oka
          * ; Affected by 1870 & 1873
  31. 1995 - Quebec Votes "No" Again
          * ; Affected by 1968
  32. 1999 - Nunavut Territory Created
          * ; Affected by 1896 & 1909

   1. 1820' NW Co. Still Rivals Hudson Bay Co.
   2. 1837' Lower & Upper Canada Rebel
   3. 1858' Americans Flock to Fraser
   4. 1867' Maritimes Confederate
   5. 1869' Newfoundland Joins Canada
   6. 1885' Riel Pardoned
   7. 1903' Hay-Herbert Extends B.C. Coast
   8. 1919' Canada Ignored At Treaty Talks
   9. 1944' Canadians Repulsed From Juno Beach
  10. 1949' Newfoundland, British Colony
  11. 1955' Quebec Winter Carnival Successful
  12. 1961' Medicare Fails
  13. 1970' Stanfield Increase Nuke Stockpile
  14. 1972' Russia Wins Summit Series
  15. 1980' Quebec Rebels
  16. 1982' Patriation Deal Falls Apart
  17. 1990' Mohawk Nation Established
  18. 1995' Quebec Seceeds
  19. 1999' Territories Seceed

Rejected events:
- 1919 Winnepeg General Strike - Would lose Versailles and I want to keep an effect for Vimy Ridge
- 1921 Banting/Best Discover Insulin - Prideworthy, but seems independent of world events.
- 1935 On to Ottawa trek - Hard to fit in again, though Communist Canada is a rather interesting thought (not desirable, but interesting).

Other possible timeline events.
Pearson's election-Avro Arrow being built could be a cause/effect (Pearon doesn't ask Dief to hand over power without election in '58 and the Liberals win then and fund the Arrow) though it could be a fun 'Artifact' if I don't work it in.  Or maybe a time machine?  If I did bring these in, what would I take out?  1980 seems not really essential, as I deal with Quebec seperation in '95 (when they got closer), but what else?  Also, I want to keep that four point ripple that is Trudeau or replace it with another...y tight event, though.  Dief won in a landslide, though Pearson stuck his foot in his mouth leading up to it.)

The Komagata Maru Incident of 1914 (Indian Immigrants refused in BC) is another I want to incorporate, but I'm not sure how to fit it in.  The alternates for 1896 and 1903 are the same at the moment, so that needs fixing...