Looney Labs EcoFluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Eco] Another article on Environment and Vegetarianism

  • Frombecca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • DateWed, 14 Feb 2007 14:03:42 -0500 (EST)
Lots of good information in that article.

An important point is that it isn't all-or-nothing: Reducing the amount of
meat you eat has an environmental impact.  The more you reduce, the
better, but *any* reduction helps.

My partner and I gave up meat for Lent in 2002.  You can read our diary of
the experience here: http://www.earthlingshandbook.org/soylent.html
Giving it up temporarily helped to motivate us, because knowing that we
only had to wait until Easter enabled us to think, "It's not that long!
We can do it!"  Meanwhile, learning to eat without meat made a permanent
change in our habits; we do eat occasional meat now, but we've never gone
back to eating as much as we did before that Lent, because we've realized
that we just don't need it.  Also, for me at least, abstaining made me
more able to recognize when eating meat was the cause of minor digestive
and metabolic troubles.

Even if you are not Christian, I think giving up something for Lent can be
a very enlightening experience.  If not meat, try giving up something else
you do that's bad for the environment, like driving a car or buying
overpackaged take-out food.  You might find you can get along without it.
---'Becca