Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

RE: [Edu] now a chrononauts question........

  • From"Dan Isaac 2" <disaac2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 31 Jul 2006 23:48:07 -0400
Kimberly,

Chrononauts is definitely a more complicated game then Fluxx, Aquarius, and Cosmic Coasters, but after you understand it you will see that it is not overly complicated. However it does contain a unique and patented gameplay mechanic for handling the timeline. So please don't feel stupid that you don't immediately understand it. It's one of those things that are much easier for someone to describe/teach face-to-face then via typed words.

By the way, you can find an online description of how to play here:
http://www.wunderland.com/LooneyLabs/Chrononauts/Rules.html

But I will try to explain the timeline and patching mechanics a bit...

There are two types of cards in the Timeline:
    Linchpins (purple) & Ripplepoints (blue)

Linchpins have a box on them labeled "Ripples" which lists the years/cards which can be affected by this Linchpin. All of these affected years/cards will be Ripplepoint cards. The Linchpin also shows a black Icon used to indicate this normal state of this year/card. The reverse of the Linchpin also has the "Ripples" box, but shows the Icon in Red with an additional Prime mark (apostrophe) to indicate that it is the non-standard history/version of this year.

Ripplepoints have a section on their front which reads "Paradoxed if" which shows one or more alternate/red Icons from Linchpins connected with either "and" or "or" statements. These will show you how to know when to flip this card. It only flips (becomes paradoxed) if the truth statement of Icons evaluates to True. The back of the Ripplepoint cards shows the Paradox image and reads "Restored if" and shows the negation/opposite of the Truth statement which was on the front of the card.

There are also two types of cards that you can draw and play which can directly effect the timeline:
    Inverters (yellow) & Patches (orange)

Inverters are used to directly flip **Linchpins**. Inverters can NOT be used to flip Ripplepoints directly. However, as described above, when a Linchpin is flipped it can affect Ripplepoint cards which may then cause some or all of those Ripplepoints to then become flipped as well. Some Inverters can only be used on specific Linchpins, others only on already Primed/flipped Linchpins, and others can be used on any Linchpin.

Patches will indicate which year/timeline card they apply to, and will read "Nullified if" and will show the same Truth statement as the "Restored if" statement on the Paradoxed side of the associated Ripplepoint card. Patches are played onto (on top of) the timeline cards to fix that Paradoxed year. They can only be played on the indicated Ripplepoint card if the conditions are such that the Ripplepoint has been flipped over/paradoxed (and therefore that the patch will not be nullified). The year 1945 also has an additional stipulation as there are 3 different patches, each of which can only be played under specific circumstances. This is a special case situation.

So to sum it all up with an example...
If you start with the initial time line setup, and you want to play a patch on 1868. Here are the steps you must take (assuming no-one interferes with your plays):
Play an Inverter to flip 1865 (Saving Lincoln from assassination)
        1865 says that it Ripples 1868 & 1974
    Looking at the years rippled by 1865 you see:
        1868 says: Paradoxed if 1865'(prime/red)
                so it flips immediately to the Paradoxed side
        1974 says: Paradoxed if 1865'(prime/red) and 1963'(prime/red)
                stays normal since 1963 is still black/normal/not flipped
On your next turn, you can then play your 1868 Patch card onto the 1868 Paradox
        assuming that no one else has reverted 1865 to the normal history since your last turn

By the way, you can also find another example on the online rules page at:
http://www.wunderland.com/LooneyLabs/Chrononauts/Rules.html#JFKexample
Also, assuming that you have played your 1868 patch as above, if someone then plays an Inverter to Restore 1865 to the normal history (Lincoln Assassinated) then your patch which reads "Nullified if 1865(black)" is then moved off of the timeline and into the discard pile, and then the Paradoxed 1868 which reads "Restored if 1865(black)" is then flipped back to it's normal history (Andrew Johnson Impeached). 1974 will also be set back to the true/black history if it has been paradoxed by this time.

Hopefully this has helped to illustrate some of the main mechanics of playing this game which I am sure you will grow to love once you have a better understanding of how it works.  :^)

Also, I hope that I got all of my details correct as I don't have my deck in front of me, but have been using the Looney's website as my guide to some of the card specifics & wordings. But the images are a little hard for me to read exactly.

    - Dan