Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

Re: [Edu] The Teacher Warren

  • From"Magi D. Shepley" <magid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSat, 03 Feb 2007 11:31:46 -0500
Well... it came out of my using Fluxx in my classroom with various groups of students who have various disabilities. For the last 2 years, I've used it with students in a cross-categorical program, which just means all the students need to learn and practice life-skills. Last summer, I had one of my students 1 on 1 for an extended school year program, and we picked two projects that he would do during that time with me... one was creating a new version of Fluxx (because he loved the game, and it was one of the rewards he could earn for good behavior), and the other was designing an amusement park in RollerCoaster Tycoon. The ideas for the cards were finished over the summer, but it took much longer for us to lay the cards out in a format that would make them printable: we can't use the standard printing idea, which is to print directly on the Fluxx Blanxx. To print directly to the card, you need a spray adhesive to make a carrier for the printer, and then a fixer to keep the ink from coming off. We're not allowed to use those because they are on the toxic chemicals list for my district, and things on that list cannot be used with students in the classroom. A few weeks ago, I found clear 2x4 shipping labels from Avery, and so went ahead and created a template to make the Blanxx on those labels and print them from MS Word. It works fairly well, though you need to be careful about getting the label on the card correctly or else when you play, you can make a guess as to what cards your opponents are holding. And, the clear labels are REALLY hard to find. I should have bought them when I saw them, because now Staples doesn't have them!

The idea was to create a game that would encourage discussion/practice of the steps or materials that are needed to do a specific life skill activity. We already have regular board games that do this, plus another adapted one that I created based on Trivial Pursuit.

The Rules cards are fairly standard... and many of the Action cards are as well, but things do get interesting here.

Action Cards
There's A Sub: Tell everybody to put their cards down, and close their eyes. Steal one card from each person, and put them in your hand. Finish your turn. (Because, isn't this what kids do when there is a sub? Shuffle seats and break the rules?)
   Recycle A Keeper: Search the discard pile for a keeper.
Get Married: Choose a player, and mix up both your hands, then deal an equal number of cards to your "partner".
   Go To The Prom: Same as get married, but only the keepers are used.

Goal Cards
   Wash Clothes: Washing Machine and Clothes Keepers
   Follow a Recipe: Food and Brain
   Go To The Mall: Store and Credit Card
   Internet: Computer and Books
   Class Ring: Check and Form
   Drive A Car: Form and Driver's License
   Go To Work: Driver's License OR Bus, Work

Keepers: Stamp, Dishes, Washing Machine, Form, Cart, Soap, Clothes, etc.

Magi

Sue Landsman wrote:
What is Survival Fluxx?
-Sue

*/"Magi D. Shepley" <magid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>/* wrote:

    Awesome... Do you think you could mix Spanish Fluxx cards with regular
    Fluxx cards? I wonder if my Spanish speaker would be more willing to
    play. He'd certainly be at an advantage!

    For those interested, Survival Fluxx is finished... or rather, all of
    the cards were laid out, and ready to be printed. If anybody wants to
    look at it to see if they think it would play well, let me know. I
    would ask that you not share it beyond test playing though... Once it
    is "finished", I'll give it to Carol to post on the Teacher site,
    but I
    do think that since one of my students put in so much effort making
    this, its only fair he get a little bit of credit.

    Magi

    miyu wrote:
    > For anyone curious about Fluxx in Spanish I used the game in a
    small
    > Spanish II class last week and it went over very well. The previous
    > week I spent one class period playing Fluxx in English so they
    could
    > get used to the rules and then brought it out in the target
    language
    > the following week. They had very few rules questions and
    maintained
    > steady conversation in Spanish the entire time.
    >
    > I'll probably be placing another order in the next few weeks for
    2-3
    > more sets of the game to run multiple games in one of my larger
    > classes. I highly recommend sticking to 4-6 people tops if running
    > this game in the classroom - especially since the Spanish
    version has
    > fewer cards than the English.
    >
    > Once I get the rules to Nanofictionary down I may play it as
    well in
    > class (after pulling out some cards and limiting it to
    vocabulary they
    > would easily know in Spanish). It would be very cool to see a
    Spanish

No need to miss a message. Get email on-the-go <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=43910/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail> with Yahoo! Mail for Mobile. Get started. <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=43910/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail>