Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Fluxx] New wiki page: Blanxx sorted by Author

  • From"Vincent Povirk" <madewokherd+8cd9@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 20 Aug 2008 15:14:30 -0500
On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 8:54 AM, Anthony Kozar
<mailing-lists-1001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks Bryan -- I applaud your efforts in making the Blanxx card listings
> more useful.  Unfortunately, these sorts of "manual" solutions to
> organization tend to not be maintained over time (or require a great deal
> more effort to maintain).  As you probably know, this sort of thing screams
> "database"!

Nope, it screams "Crazed robot!".

Or, uh.. maybe not..

Anyway, before I read this, I had the idea of throwing in a few more
lists that would naturally be generated by a robot. Basically, certain
cards (particularly goals and new rules) tend to mention other cards.
Generally these cards will only make sense in a deck that contains the
cards they mention. So I want:
* For each card that is mentioned in another card's text, a list of
cards whose text it is mentioned in.
* A list of cards that do not have any links to other cards, in either
direction. I.e. they can be added to any Fluxx deck.
* For each standard deck (Fluxx 1.0, Fluxx 2.x, etc.), a list of cards
that can be added based on the cards in that deck.

For right now, I have a python program that can download the Fluxx
Blanxx list from the wiki and generate a list by author. I have
attached this in case it is useful (and boldly replaced the page
contents with the bot-generated list).

There's more individual-situation-specific logic in the script than
I'd like (and I did have to modify the pages a bit to actually get a
nice list), and it cannot make any automated changes (this is by
design).

If someone beats me to providing the information I want with a
database, that's fine with me.

Vincent Povirk