Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

[Fluxx] Odds and Ends: Sorry, Yet Another Monty Python Fluxx anticipation pack

  • From"Bryan Stout" <bryan.stout@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSat, 20 Sep 2008 23:14:37 -0400
Here is the final set of cards I invented in anticipation of Monty Python Fluxx.  The previous two were "Something Completely Different" which had cards that mostly affected Goals and Keepers; and "A Turn for the Worst", whose cards affected how player turns are carried out.  This last set, "Odds and Ends" has two themes: the discard pile, and the numerical values of individual New Rules.  Here are the card texts, with some notes at the end.

1. New Rule: Muckraking
"Dennis, there's some lovely filth down here!"
Whenever you draw a card you may take either the top of the Draw pile or the top of the Discard pile.

2. Action: Retrieve 1 Keeper
"Cardinal Fang! Fetch ? THE COMFY CHAIR!"
Search through the discard pile. Take any Keeper you wish and set it aside face up. You may not play it this turn; place it in your hand after your turn ends.
Anyone may look through the discard pile at any time, but the order of what?s in the pile should never be changed.

3. Action: Retrieve 1 Goal
"So keep right to the end.
You?ll find your goal my friend.
You won?t fail! Find your grail! "
Search through the discard pile. Take any Goal you wish and set it aside face up. You may not play it this turn; place it in your hand after your turn ends.
Anyone may look through the discard pile at any time, but the order of what?s in the pile should never be changed.

4. Action: Kill 1 Card
"This ... is an EX ? PARROT!"
Select any card in the discard pile or on the table (not the Basic Rules). Remove that card from play. It may not be used for the rest of the game.
Anyone may look through the discard pile at any time, but the order of what?s in the pile should never be changed.

5. New Rule: +1
"You are accused of heresy on three counts ? four, *four* counts.."
You may play this card alone or attach it to the Basic Rules or a New Rule card, if there is no previous attachment.
All numerals on the card this is attached to are increased by 1.
If this card is unattached, you may play a New Rule onto it.
This card can be trashed by itself. If the card it?s attached to is trashed, so is this one.

[In case you missed it while reading, the previous cards is titled "+1", and the next two are "+2", and "-1".  Pronounced "Plus one", "Plus two" and "Minus one". :-) ]

6. New Rule: +2
"And now for something completely different: a man with three noses."
You may play this card alone or attach it to the Basic Rules or a New Rule card, if there is no previous attachment.
All numerals on the card this is attached to are increased by 2.
If this card is unattached, you may play a New Rule onto it.
This card can be trashed by itself. If the card it?s attached to is trashed, so is this one.

7. New Rule: -1
"If there were fewer robbers, there wouldn?t be so many of them."
You may play this card alone or attach it to a New Rule card, if there is no previous attachment.
All numerals on the card this is attached to are decreased by 1 ? but not below zero. Also, it can turn Play All into Play All But 1.
If this card is unattached, you may play a New Rule onto it.
This card can be trashed by itself. If the card it?s attached to is trashed, so is this one.

How to use these cards.
--------------------------
Since Muckraking allows drawing from the discard pile, you should be strict in the order of discarding and drawing:

1) Action cards should be discarded after their action takes place, as they all say in their instructions.

2) If several players must discard or draw cards at the same time, do it in turn order, starting with the active player.

When +1, +2 or -1 are attached to a rule card, they are typically placed right underneath it, fanned out so their yellow border is visible. You may have noticed that these cards are like Inflation, except they only affect individual cards, and are played only on rule cards, not Keepers, Creepers, Actions, Goals, or whatever.

Here are some attachment card examples:

A) +1 on Play 3 makes it Play 4.

B) -1 on Rich Bonus reduces the bonus to 0 cards.

C) +2 on Basic Rules makes them Draw 3/Play 3. (Note they can still be superceded by Draw 2 etc.) -1 cannot go on Basic Rules, though +1 can.

D) Inflation is unaffected by these cards. (Go by its text, not its drawing.) Inflation itself makes the attachment cards become +2, +3 and -2 respectively. If this becomes too confusing to keep track of, you can have a house rule that the attachment cards and Inflation contradict each other, so playing one means discarding the other.

E) Only one attachment can go on a card, but they can go on each other: -1 on +1 makes it +0; +1 on -1 makes it -2. (The numeral alone is affected, not the + or - sign.)

F) +1 on +2 makes it +3 (so does +2 on +1). +3 on -1 makes it -4. -4 on Draw 3 makes it Draw 0, not Draw -1.

G) As stated on the card, -1 on Play All makes it Play All But 1, ie. you play all your cards except one. You cannot play +1 or +2 on Play All. (Though you could play them on -1 to make it become -4 as in example F, and put that on Play All...)

This obviously allows some interesting tactical possibilities. If a situation arises that I haven't covered, ask away.

The text for these cards is also posted, with color coding, on BoardGameGeek here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/341387 , and pictures of my copies of these cards is posted starting here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/374136 .

And you may enjoy reading this: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/34888/item/745111#item745111 , where I explain a little more about how I came to want to do this.  It is followed by some clever responses, which I enjoyed even when I disagreed with them.  (And if you like what I've done, give me thumbs!)

Regards,
Bryan