Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

[Fluxx] Monty Python Fluxx: first reactions and questions

  • From"Bryan Stout" <bryan.stout@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 20 Oct 2008 11:19:39 -0400
Life is ironic sometimes.  Friday morning I finally decided I'd get Monty Python Fluxx faster by ordering it from Looney Labs than the FLGS, so I ordered it, with a few other things.  Friday afternoon I got a call from the Game Parlor store in Chantilly VA that they had MPF and were holding a copy for me.  So Friday evening I went out & got it.  Then on Saturday I got my ordered copy in the mail.  Well, I have a nice present for someone at Christmas!  (And thanks to Nikki and Allison for getting that order out so quickly!)

It was a pleasant surprise to find my name among the Playtesters in the credits.  Thanks, Andy.  I'm glad my contributions were useful to you.

We did play one game of it Friday night -- I wrote up a session report of the game we played that night here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/348690 .  I like the game a lot, and will probably be writing a review of it soon.

I think the rules for MPF are probably the best Fluxx rules descriptions yet, in part because of the very helpful FAQ list on the back side.  Still, I do have other questions -- it's almost as unavoidable as Taxes or the Grim Reaper:

1. The Animator Keeper says it "Counts as the Finger of God if the real Finger of God is not on the table".  I'm certain this refers to the Goal cards that require the Finger of God ('Course it' a Good Idea!, Gone to Meet His Maker, Squashed From Above).  But since the Finger of God gives its owner the ability to "smite (i.e. discard) any Creeper", does this mean the owner of the Animator may also smite Creepers if the FoG is absent?  My guess is not, because that would require referring to the text of the FoG card when it isn't around.  But, I'm not sure.

2.  Let's say I have these cards on the table:
    Keepers                 Creepers
    Robin's Minstrels       3-Headed Giant
    Trojan Rabbit           Killer Rabbit
If the current Goal were "He Bravely Ran Away", I would satisfy the Goal conditions (the top cards above), but couldn't win because I'd have the Creeper Killer Rabbit.  And if the current Goal were "Rabbits of DOOM!", I would satisfy its conditions (the bottom cards above), but couldn't win because I'd have the Creeper 3-Headed Giant.  But, what if there were a Double Agenda, and the two Goals were "He Bravely Ran Away" *and* "Rabbits of DOOM!"?  Would I win now or not?  I think yes, because both my Creepers are part of winning conditions, but I can see how someone could argue the other way.

3.  Suppose the current New Rules include Draw 2, Play 2 and I Just Want To Sing!  I draw 2, sing a Python song to draw 2 more, play Jackpot to draw 3 more, and finally play Draw 5.  Do I get to draw 3 more because my Draw step only gave me 2, or do I get nothing extra because I've already drawn 7 this turn?  I could see it going either way on this question.

4.  Unfortunately, there was one card I found ambiguous.  Fortunately, I only found one.  Unfortunately, it will take a while to explain this.  For those who haven't seen it yet, the text of the Action card Nudge, Nudge, Wink, Wink... is:
    "Know what I mean?  Know what I mean?  Say no more!  Say no more!"
    All players who know what is meant may immediately draw 1 card.
When I first read this, a swarm of possible reactions a player may have buzzed through my head:
A)  What does "what is meant" refer to?  Not only do I not know the answer, I don't understand the question!
B)  I guess I'm supposed to act something out, and everyone who knows what I mean gets a card.  I of course know what I mean so I get one.
C)  I know!  The quote is from the "Nudge nudge" sketch on the TV show, so I get a card.
D)  I know!  The guy in the sketch is referring to his ultimate question (You've ... er ... slept ... with a lady ... what's it like?), i.e. s*x, so I get a card.

In addition to understanding the question, there's demonstrating one's knowledge:
i)  To draw a card, you must demonstrate you know what is meant.  Rather than blurting it out loud so others find out, you can write it down or whisper in the ear of the one who played the card.
ii)  You don't have to demonstrate your knowledge, unless someone challenges you.
iii)  You don't have to demonstrate your knowledge at all.  You can bluff and pretend, getting a card even if you are clueless.

I'm pretty sure D) and iii) are the intentions, which means that Nudge, Nudge, Wink, Wink... is a Pythonesque version of the card Everybody Gets 1.  Am I right?  But I suspect this card will lead to a good number of discussions or arguments at gaming tables.

5.  There is one piece of artwork on the website that doesn't appear on any card, namely the Taunting Frenchman.  Was this for a card that ultimately ended up on the cutting room floor?  (He'd make a great Creeper.)  What cards from the Origins prototype deck were dropped for the final version?

Thanks!
Bryan