Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

[Fluxx] A Christmas Carol Fluxx

  • FromBryan Stout <stoutwb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 4 Dec 2009 11:35:53 -0500
As a holiday gift to you all, I am presenting a little Fluxx expansion
I invented last year, based on Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol.
The cards with their text (except the top paragraphs, which are
normal) are:

- Creeper: Ebenezer Scrooge
  If you have this you cannot win, and your Keepers on the table may
not be discarded, taken or given away.
  If you lose this card, place half of your Keepers on the table
(rounded up) in front of one or more other players.

- Keeper: The Ghost of Christmas Past
  If this card is in front of you, during your turn you may look
through the discard pile, take a card from it to give to another
player’s hand, and then discard this card.

- Keeper: The Ghost of Christmas Present
  If this card is in front of you, during your turn you may look at
the hands of half the players (rounded down), give one of your cards
(from hand or table) to any player’s hand, and then discard this card.

- Keeper: The Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come
  If this card is in front of you, during your turn you may look
through the draw pile, take a card from it to give to another player’s
hand, and then discard this card and shuffle the draw pile.

- Goal: The Spirits Shall Strive Within Me
  You win if you have two of the three Christmas Ghosts on the table
in front of you.

- New Rule: The Common Welfare Is My Business
  During your turn you must place one of your Keepers, from table or
hand, in front of another player. This does not count as a play.
  This is optional if you have no table Keepers at your turn’s end.

- Meta Rule: You Will Be Haunted By Three Spirits (obverse)
  Place a token on this card each time one of the Ghosts is played or
discarded from a player’s hand. Discarded cards must be shown to
everyone.
  Once there are three tokens on this card, flip it over and follow
the rules on the other side.
- I Am A Changed Man (reverse of previous Meta Rule)
  If you play with this card, start with the other side face up.
  Discard all Creepers when this side is first exposed, and Scrooge if
it is drawn later.
  From now on, if you alone fulfill the current Goal conditions during
your turn, you do not win but instead discard the Goal.  But if
another player fulfills the conditions during your turn, you both win.

Here are some finer points about the cards:
- Cards that you give to another player because of the Ghosts are not
shown to other players except the recipient.
- If you invoke Christmas Present, you may look at 1 player’s hand if
there are 2 or 3 total players; 2 hands if 4 or 5 players, etc.
- In Martian Fluxx, Scrooge counts as a Human, but the Ghosts do not.
- A player with Scrooge on the table ignores The Common Welfare.
Though he may not lose Keepers on the table, he can be given Keepers,
and can lose Creepers, or lose any cards from the hand.

God bless us, every one!

Bryan

PS.  In a few weeks I'll send out Happy New Year Fluxx, which I also
invented last year.