Looney Labs Geeks Mailing list Archive

[Geeks] RE: Discussion paradigms (was Re: [Icehouse] IGDC Winter (and beyond))

  • From"Elliott C. Evans" <eeyore@xxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 4 Oct 2007 12:47:47 -0700 (PDT)
David A. wrote:
> It's funny, but I actually have come to abhor offline e-mail clients,
> because I have (or use) so many computers that it's a pain to try to
> maintain local e-mail on just oen of them (never mind scattered across
> several of them).

I use an offline reader (Thunderbird with POP3) on my home machine,
but have it leave a couple days of inbox on the server so I can use
IMAP readers from elsewhere.

> It's the same reason I don't bother with offline HTML editors anymore,
> now that I have online editors on all my sites, be they wikis, CMSs,
> or forums--or just a quick FTP down, edit in Notepad, and FTP back up
> of simple pages.

FTP down? Notepad? I SSH to the host and fire up emacs.

> Web 2.0, baby! Catch it!

Like herpes!

> Ultimately, it's a matter of taste. But I recommend that folks not get
> too attached to any local apps, because the future is thin-client,
> apps-on-demand, web-based storage, and server-side execution.

I wouldn't bet on it. They've been promising this for years, but
frankly, most people don't want it.

--
Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans
eeyore@xxxxxxxx