Re: [Icehouse] Origami Icehouse

  • FromBrian Campbell <lambda@xxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 6 Dec 2005 03:09:07 -0500
Could someone produce a PDF of this? I'm not MS Word-enabled.

On Nov 26, 2005, at 3:36 PM, Ryan McGuire and Kerry Breitenbach wrote:

An MS Word doc with a folding diagram and the roughesst of instructions is available at...
   http://home.att.net/~ryanmcguire/OrigamiIcehouse/Creases.doc

I would be surprised if anyone could actually make a pyramid given the instructions. Let me know if you have any specific questions. I've taken some pictures but haven't really put them together in a web page yet.

The three diagrams on the second page are correctly sized to make one pyramid of each size. Just print page 2 onto five sheets each of four different colors (six colors for Volcano) and you're ready to go. Heck, you could get a Binary Homeworlds set with just three sheets of each color. Or you can modify the file to color in at least the four triangles that end up being the pyramids faces, as shown on page 1, and then fold the whole thing insideout.

Re: "Pure" instructions.
From what I gather, origami purists would at least roll their eyes at a
folding diagram. All measurements should either be available by folding this corner to that corner, or from just estimating.

Re: Improvements
Someone asked in a private email what "improvements" I made of Bill Adams's design. The biggest one is that by using my new instructions you don't end up with a crease down the middle of each pyramid face. There are also other unnecessary creases that I've eliminated, but they were all on the inside of the folded-in flaps, so the improvement is basically moot.

Happy folding.
Ryan

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Francis" <whooshtn@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "'Icehouse Discussion List'" <icehouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, November 25, 2005 5:15 AM
Subject: RE: [Icehouse] Origami Icehouse

I rarely ever post in the lists I belong to, but I am an avid origami
practitioner, if that is the way to say it. I would be very interested in the drawing, and honestly I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "pure", but
I am interested in it anyway!  I only just recently (dragoncon) got
interested in these pyramid games, and I'd love to try some of the games that require massive numbers of pyramids without having to actually buy the plastic ones just to try it. This would be a wonderful thing to do. Please do send the instructions, if not to the list, send them to me directly
(whooshtn@xxxxxxxxx).

Thanks a lot!!

John