Re: [Icehouse] n00b: paper pyramids--heft and stackability?

  • FromBrian Campbell <bpcam0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 9 Dec 2005 18:28:33 -0500
(Disclaimer: I don't actually own the paper pyramids, I'm just going on what I've heard)

It should be possible to make the paper pyramids stackable. All you have to do is cut off the botom flap.

It is also possible to give them more heft, by putting something like aquarium gravel in them, and gluing them shut. Obviously, this is mutually exclusive with making them stackable.

Most games can be played with 4 stashes (a stash is 15 pyramids of a single color), usually in the standard colors of red, green, blue, and yellow. A lot of games are one stash per player, which means that 4 stashes should be sufficient if you have 4 or fewer players. The most notable game that requires more than 4 stashes is Volcano, a popular game which requires 6 stashes (well, really 5 1/3 stashes). The paper Icehouse set comes with enough pyramids for 4 stashes (60 pyramids), so that should be fine for most games. If you want more, you can buy the black and white paper icehouse set, which comes with one black stash and 3 white stashes. You can use one of those as a white stash, and color in or decorate the others to get two more colors.

There is a FAQ currently. It's on the Play Again Games wiki, although maybe we should move it to the IcehouseGames.org wiki so more people will be able to find it. It is located here:

http://wiki.playagaingames.com/tiki-view_faq.php?faqId=3

In order to help people out with selecting games, I've recently put together a page on popular Icehouse games in various categories. This can help you find games that you can play with particular numbers of stashes, particular numbers of players, games with certain kinds of mechanics, and so on:

http://icehousegames.org/wiki/index.php?title=Choosing_games