[Icehouse] Pieceniking made Difficult (was: Pieceniking made Easy)

  • FromBrian Campbell <lambda@xxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 22 Jan 2007 13:15:57 -0500
On Jan 22, 2007, at 12:37 PM, Elliott C. Evans wrote:

Brian C. wrote:
2) Could you demonstrate a cool pieceniking project that would be
easy to do at home?

You could paint patterns on some pieces, like Zarf did -

http://www.eblong.com/zarf/icehouse-painting-2.html

It still takes some equipment, but no power tools.

Yeah, I should try that out. Part of the motivation for pieceniking is to get heavier, more solid pieces, for playing Icehouse with. I need to give the sand-filled ones another chance; maybe get two stashes and hope that I can get one stash worth of non-leaky pieces out of it. I was just experimenting on some of the good pieces from a stash that had several broken pieces and a missing piece.

I'd like to try making a wooden set at some point, but I need access to a wood shop for that. I'd also like to try a polymer clay stash, but I've heard those are a real pain to work with. I played around with eMachineShop a bit to see if I could get any metal pieces custom machined, but the only design I could figure out that worked with their software was a very expensive version of Minimice. Does anyone have any more suggestions for cool pieceniking projects?

I've been trying to figure out a good design for making my own giant pieces, now that you can't get the cardboard ones any more. How did MiSuBa make his giant foam pieces? Did he cut them himself, or just find a place that worked in foam and would cut it to his spec? How do you cut foam with straight, even enough edges to make a decent set of Icehouse pieces? And would it be at all possible to make stackable foam ones? I'm thinking that you might be able to get sheets cut into triangles with angled edges that you could glue into a pyramid, but I don't know how I'd get the pieces cut that way or what I'd use to glue them.