Re: [Icehouse] Icehouse RPG

  • FromBrian Campbell <lambda@xxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 6 Mar 2007 14:11:04 -0500
On Mar 6, 2007, at 12:50 PM, Joshua Kronengold wrote:

Brian Campbell writes:
My recommendation would be to not try to make it a generic RPG
system. There are plenty of decent (depending on your preferences)
generic systems already (D20, GURPS, Storyteller, Fudge/FATE, Rifts,
etc),

Not necessarily.  Frex, PTA is as generic system as most of the above
-- yet far more different from any of them than most are from one
another.  (OTE is another "different" generic system which is more
similar -- but still pretty different).

I didn't mean to imply that these were all of the available generic systems, or that there wasn't room for new, interesting generic systems. I guess what I was trying to say was that the space of "here's a way of measuring your attributes & skills, combining those numbers with die rolls, and using that as a universal action resolution mechanism" is pretty well covered already.

Pretty much.  Design your game by looking first at how you want it to
be played -- using rules that foster that play.  IOW, design your RPG
less like "it's like GURPS, except..." and more like a board game.

*nod*