Re: [Icehouse] Icehouse RPG

  • FromFred Poutre <cloven-fruit@xxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 5 Mar 2007 22:45:02 -0700
It is a very cool concept.
But in using the Pyramids for stat scores, then you should eliminate the
dice aspect altogether.
I think if you approach it from a mechanics point of view of a video game
you might do better with the concept.

The stacking idea for what aspect of play it will effect is interesting.
I am not sure how it will play test. I guess part of that requires larger
stashes of Pyramids. The idea that color equals effect is actually very
cool, but I am not sure you can come up with enough skills, and still
keep it simple for play.

I would suggest you pick one genre, develop that and adjust from there.

With the basic layout you already have, I would suggest a street fighter
concept, or a supper hero concept.

Break the skills down into three or four basic categories.

Movement, Attack, Defense, are base lines that are always useful. Attack
and Defense can be combined, but often require more complex rules for
such.

Skills based on smarts and social skills are usually good spilts against
the Movement, Attack, Defense lineup (I know this gives you five areas if
you spilt Combat into attack and defense).

Going with the supper hero theme, and the ideas you have posted:

Blue = swimming
Cyan = flying
Red = running
Grey = tunneling
Black = space travel
Purple = teleporting

Come up with as many means, as per the number of colors. Do this for each
Skill category.

Then it is matter of play test the building of characters to determine
how many points required to buy the skills to make a decent character.

Thanks
Fred Poutre
Cloven Fruit Games