[Icehouse] Re: Regarding Official Zero-Pointers

  • DateMon, 12 Mar 2007 13:13:42 -0700
Thanks, Paul, for the more accurate break-down. I guess I haven't
thought through everything quite enough, yet. Your point about the
shipping price if I do it on-demand if particularly telling--more so, I
feel, than any other. It does seem that one must either (a) assume a
stocking risk, to minimize cost additions from shipping, or (b) run the
price a bit higher (about 50¢, right?).

On the flip side, it's encouraging to see that Robert was able to make a
simple and effective jig--I knew it was possible, having been a
woodworker in the past. If one already has the tools, the only per-unit
cost addition is new blades--and I imagine that one can cut down a WHOLE
LOT of plastic before needing to sharpen a blade, let alone replace it
as worn out.

But the net result is that it would likely be rather difficult to get
"right side up" on such a business venture, even if one approached it
as a side business and was willing to wait as long as it took to
recover costs and start earning profits (or raise the price to allow
for shipping costs). Further, having read Kristin's essay about the
molds and costs, I now realize that the pyramids are, shall we say,
marginal in the market. This inspires me all the more to favor pyramid
games when I demo, actually.

Thanks, guys, for your efforts!
David