Re: [Icehouse] IGDC Summer 2007 Rankings

  • FromDale Sheldon <dales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 28 Sep 2007 10:52:30 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 28 Sep 2007, miyu wrote:

I do know that when my kids submitted ballots I got several where they only played 5 games and rated four of them 1-4 and the fifth they rated 8th because they disliked it enough that they assumed the other games would be more fun. When I submitted their ballots I took out those "spaces" and simply submitted them as 1-5 since that was what I assumed the balloting needed.

Was I wrong?

Not really wrong; ranked pairs can handle "I like A, then B, then C, then anything else I didn't play, then Z", or even "I like A best, then B and C are both good but I can't decide between them, then anything else I didn't play, then Z".

Which you could write "A, B, C, NotA, Z" and "A, [B, C], NotA, Z" (where NotA stands for None of the Above), respectively.

If they, or anyone, was certain they would prefer a game they hadn't played over one of the ones they had, that can be done; but that that was the case, and how to indicate that, wasn't made really clear for this vote.

With that information, you can still get the marginal vote table, and still get a RP winner.

(Really, you could think of your ballot as an 8x8 grid, and you can put either a + or a - in each square, or leave it blank (then the marginal vote table is just the sum off all the ballots) but I hope it's mostly obvious to people how you would go from a ranked list to a +/- grid.)

--
Dale Sheldon
dales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx