[Icehouse] Fwd: Vote for Summer '08

  • FromDale Sheldon <dales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSun, 27 Jul 2008 14:02:25 -0400 (EDT)
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Don Sheldon <don.sheldon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 9:35 AM
Subject: Vote for Summer '08
To: IGDC Coordinator <IGDC.Coordinator@xxxxxxxxx>

I never did get to play through any of these, but here are my comments and vote.

Albiorix

My game, I have no notes to make to myself that I don't already know.

Ambush

read thru: Looks clever.  Definitely needs to be played before forming
a solid opinion.  In the third diagram, how does placing at B2 capture
anything?  I thought it had to form a line.

Martian_BattleSpires

read thru: The actual height matters?  Genius!  Ambiguity in how much
power you need.  Under "Game terms" it says power must exceed the
defenders, under "Game play" it says it must meet or exceed.  Which is
correct?

Pass_The_Pyramids

read thru: Skill and gambling in one?  Genius!  I love how it uses the
intrinsic properties of the 'mids.  Third example: 3 pointing at
upright 2, Is this to be 11 points?  3 + 4 (for 3 at 2^) + 4 (for the
2^ on its own)?  Can you point thru 'mids?  How is that scored?  If a
1 points at an upright 2 and those are both in the same line as the
upright 3 beyond, is that (1+4)+(1+9)+4+9=28?  What about a (nearly
impossible) nest?  (1+4)+(1+9)+(4+9)+1+4+9=42?

The way the game is actually played is a little confusing to me.  Can
this be rewritten, or perhaps include an example?  I got it, but it
took three reads.

Logger

read thru: I like the sound of it.  It feels like there may be some
interesting emergent strategies in here.  Have to play to be sure.

Atom_Smasher

read thru: Skill games are fun!  Another one that must be played to
really see how it works.  I worry it might be too slow given the low
weight of the smasher, maybe that's the idea.  I like how it uses the
dimensions of the 'mids intrinsically.

Dog_Eat_Dog

read thru: Simple enough, I like that it has no board.  Need to play
to be sure.  It sounds like it might come down to good luck more than
anything else as the time when a risk needs to be taken seem like they
might be obvious.  Defending a stack sounds like it could be rewritten
to "roll a die for every pip in the stack, rather than rolling in sets
for each pyramid" since the attacker doesn't reroll.  It might speed
up play.

Virus_Fight

read thru: Did this change at all from the last time it was entered?
I don't think it did.  I did like the idea, and reading I still do.
Playing through it was not entertaining before.  We'll see what it's
like when we try again.

T-Minus

read thru: This has the Puerto Rico problem of minimal player
interaction.  It also sounds like an individual turn can take a long
time while everyone else just sits and stares.  At first I thought a
turn could /literally/ go forever (until victory) only to be saved by
the risk of building.

Tresurion

read thru: Very complicated for an Icehouse game.  I'm not sure how
rewarding play will be, it sounds like a rather lumbering wargame.

--