Re: [Icehouse] Icehouse

  • From"Elliott C. Evans" <eeyore@xxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 06 Nov 2008 18:57:10 -0500
thedunwichhorror@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Has anyone ever discussed adding to defenders? Stacking like trees
to add to their value.

Icehouse is a physical game, almost a sport really. It relies on each
footprint having a definite value. Allowing players to meddle with
those values begins an arms race.

A common situation is for a defender to be semi-fortressed, maybe it
is at the edge of the snowball with only two openings that allow for
attacks. The defender can be iced, but only by a maximum of six points.
Once two 3-pointers are attacking the piece, it is locked up and no
more attacks can be added. If the defender is a 3-pointer and stacking
is allowed, it's too easy for to stack another 3-pointer on it and
squander both attackers with no hope of redemption, unless of course
you allow stacked attacks. Then the defender stacks. Then the attacker
stacks. Etcetera.

A large part of playing Icehouse is determining your balance between
attacks and defenders. Anything that increases the strategic value
of defenders discourages attackers and changes the game's balance.

> Not to mention making all of my filled pieces useless.

This is one of the reasons I like playing Icehouse with filled pieces,
it discourages any thoughts of stacking. =^>

--
Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans
eeyore@xxxxxxxx