Re: [Icehouse] Some Wiki Help - Update Your Games, Folks!

  • FromJoshua Kronengold <mneme@xxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 29 May 2009 10:43:18 -0500
David Artman writes:
>But maybe one of the admins will just go crazy, update it with all the
>latest bling, and rebuild the Category and InfoBox and navigation pages
>(especially What Can I Play?) using more-automatic methods. Perhaps it
>should be a discussion on the Main Page (where such site-wide stuff tends to
>be discussed).

Good point.  From the main page discussion:

     Just wanted to let everyone know that Semantic MediaWiki is now
     enabled on the wiki. It was a feature quietly added during the
     migration process. Please play around with it and make the wiki
     better! I feel like Semantic MediaWiki is much, much preferable
     to categories for things like number of players, numbers of
     stashes required, etc. It doesn't have the most powerful query
     language yet, but it should help out with the mess of categories
     existing currentlyLambda 20:57, 20 August 2008 (UTC)

So yeah, this is totally worthwhile, and even installed.  It just
needs users setting things up.

The nice thing is that enabling semantic features can be done
piecemeal (not on destination pages (eg, games), but for those, the
categories are basically the same, although if one wanted to switch to
using attributes for things like game number (eg, instead of
[[Category::3 Player]][[Category::4 Player]][[Category::5 Player]] (or
worse for even more scalable games), [[Minimum Size::2]] [[Maximum
Size::5]].

But once all (or most) games are categorized with a consistent scheme
(which they pretty much are, though one could happily redo the scheme
a bit), redoing the result pages is just a matter of crafting queries
embedded on those pages.

--
       Joshua Kronengold (mneme@(io.com, labcats.org)) |\      _,,,--,,_  ,)
--^--   "Did you know, if you increment enough, you   /,`.-'`'   -,  ;-;;'