Re: [Icehouse] Icehouse Dynamic Connection Game

  • FromDavid Artman <david.artman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 11 Mar 2010 08:04:48 -0500
On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 9:24 PM, S Myers <iamthecheeze@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The object of the game is to connect the (imaginary) row nearest you with
>> the (imaginary) row farthest from you, while stopping your opponent from
>> doing likewise. Basically, connect your two sides.

Like Twixt? Interesting....
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/949/twixt

>> 3) Move the piece. Pieces move orthogonally, never diagonally. They move up
>> to 4 - p spaces, where p is the pip-count. Or, in other words: big pieces
>> move 1 square, mediums up to 2 squares, and smalls up to 3 squares. Pieces
>> can not move through, move onto, capture, or push other pieces.

I'd expand the notion of "capture," as it happens two ways in Icehouse
games: stacking to immobilize, and piece removal

>> An example of connecting two sides is here:
>> http://headphoned.com/icehouse/connection.png
>> It is important to note from the above example that one piece in the
>> connection, a 2-pip, is getting pointed at by two different pyramids. The
>> direction of the arrows need not necessarily flow provided there is still a
>> connection between your two sides.

Nice! There's some room for tricksiness, here. :)

>> Anyway, that's my little game I'm working on. I hope some of you will give
>> it a look, maybe even a try, and give me some feedback. I haven't really
>> tried varying the board size much yet. I suspect it could be turned into a
>> placement-only connection game with the right board size (on my
>> to-investigate list). Also, I suspect it can become a three player game on a
>> hexagonal grid. (Maybe a 5x5x5?)

Eeyore's chess board wedges exist and have an establish precedent for
how "ranks and files" connect (it's oddest with a 5-sided, IMO).

I'd recommend that you post it to the wiki and link it from "Games In
Development" (unless you think it's done enough for "Existing Games"
and "What Can I Play?", the two major navigation pages for finished
games). If you need help, just ask here, or go ahead and post the game
however you can (plain text) and ask in the Comment line for someone
to format and edit it (I'd do so, if I noticed the request--I think in
HTML).

Good show! I love Twixt, and this would have gotten some big points in
an IGDC, from me. I'd just have to play a time or two, to try out the
movement/capture rules (Twixt is placement only).
David