[Icehouse] 2009 pyramid game awards: who wants to help nominate?

  • FromBryan Stout <stoutwb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 11 May 2010 22:31:09 -0400
On this list we have discussed presenting awards for the best
fan-designed game(s) using Icehouse/pyramid pieces, with the awards to
be presented at Origins.  There are several aspects of this effort
that need to be finalized, but the part we need to get started on
right away is the nomination process.

Scott and Ryan put up a list of the games added to the Icehouse wiki
in 2009: http://icehousegames.org/wiki/index.php?title=New_in_2009 .
There are 48 games listed there (though one of them -- The Great
Guessing Game -- does not have an actual page).  So there are a lot of
entries to go though.

My questions are:

1.  Who would like to help go through these games?

I will, for one.  I'd like to try to play all the games, but that
probably won't be necessary for everyone -- they can be divied up,
making sure each game has more than one reviewer.  If necessary, we
could have just a couple of people cull the list down to a subset that
a larger group of people will rate.

2.  How shall we rate them?

This is probably inseparable from the question of what the final
awards will be.  For example, based on one person's proposed list of
awards, we could rate each game on: aesthetic beauty; strategic depth;
accessibility to new players; innovation in mechanics; and overall
quality.  We could perhaps rate each game on a 1-10 scale in each
area, and use an appropriate means of combining the ratings to
determine the finalists.

3.  How many finalists shall we have?

I propose 5 for the overall award, with perhaps 3 each in the special
awards (beauty, depth etc.)

4.  When should the finalists be determined?

We probably want to announce that at most a week or two before
Origins, to give the broader Icehouse membership a chance to play and
vote on the finalists, which process could also happen at Origins
before the awards are computed and announced.

Suggestions and offers to help are very welcome!

Bryan