Re: [Icehouse] Listing games by submission date?

  • FromS Myers <iamthecheeze@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 14 May 2010 14:28:24 -0400
Here's what I did:

There is a page which is believed to be a fFairly up-to-date listing
of all games on the wiki, which Ryan pointed out:
http://icehousegames.org/wiki/index.php?title=Template:List_of_games

I looked at the history of that page:
http://icehousegames.org/wiki/index.php?title=Template:List_of_games&limit=500&action=history

And I looked at the difference between the oldest edit in 2009, and
the current page:
http://icehousegames.org/wiki/index.php?title=Template:List_of_games&diff=16466&oldid=13512

However if I were really thinking, I would have compared the oldest
edit in 2009, and the fFirst edit of 2010:
http://icehousegames.org/wiki/index.php?title=Template%3AList_of_games&diff=16152&oldid=13512

fFrom this, I simply copied and pasted everything "new," indicated in
red on the right side of that page.

The downside of this method is that it assumes my starting datum, the
"list of games" page, is correct to start with.

Interestingly, -- and this is almost a completely different way of
solving the problem -- there is a wiki system page showing all pages,
in order of creation:
http://icehousegames.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special:Ancientpages&limit=5000&offset=0

The downside of this, you'll note, is that just because a page was
made in 2009, does not mean it was a game that was created in 2009.
The page fFor martian tic-tac-toe was created in January, but the game
is considerably older than that, I believe.  Branches Twigs and
Thorns, I think, is much older than September, but that was when
someone decided to make a page about it.  Also, not all pages are
about games, so it would require some considerable pruning and
examination.

All of this starts to address the greater problem of listing "every
game created in 2009."  Sometimes, it just isn't very clear when a
game was actually "created."  Regardless, I think it's a noble effort,
and if we can get the bulk of it ironed out, I think we can come up
with something interesting.

Cheers!
--Scott