Re: [Icehouse] Best of 2009

  • FromBryan Stout <stoutwb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 9 Jun 2010 18:29:19 -0400
Hi Jeff,

If by "go over" you mean play the games, even solo, that would be very
helpful.  Thanks!

If all you're going to do is evaluate how well the rules are written,
that is of some use, but where the rubber really meets the pudding is
in the playing.  We all want publishable games, but I don't want to
get too caught up in professional submission standards.  I want to
reward good game design, and encourage the designers to keep up their
work.  Polishing the explanations can come later, if need be, but I'm
willing to reward diamonds in the rough.  (The confused mixed metaphor
at the start of the paragraph was semi-intended.  It just started
coming out that way, and I liked it :).  So playtest as many games as
you can, all of you, please!

I completely agree about having a good game description template!

The idea of awards categories hasn't been abandoned necessarily, but
I've just let it simmer to allow more feedback while I've posted about
other aspects of the awards enterprise.  The feedback has been mixed
so far: "I sympathize, but no", "I agree, but have concerns", "no".
Thanks for your own feedback.  Even if it isn't done this way,
splitting the games into categories like this really speeds up my own
thinking: within a category I can easily pick my favorites, and more
easily rank them; and then I can merge the two lists together if need
be.

Regards,
Bryan