Re: [Icehouse] A Proposal: The Pyramid Game Hall of Fame

  • FromEric Wald <eswald@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 1 Apr 2011 17:46:42 -0600
Buddha Buck wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Bryan Stout <stoutwb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> 2. What should the criteria of admittance be?
>>
>> The general principles would include quality, longevity, originality.  To
>> start off, I propose:
>>
>> - Both professional and amateur games are eligible.
>>
>> - The game must have been invented at least 10 years ago.
>>
>> - The game must still have a substantial devoted following.
>>
>> According the BGG list of Pyramid Games, the games invented in or before
>> 2001 include: Icehouse, Trice, Martian Chess, Igloo, Zarcana, DNA, Gridlock,
>> Zendo, Pikemen, Think Ice, IceTowers, RGB, Martian Frisby, Extinction, Ice
>> Solo, Volcano, Martian Backgammon, Ice 3, Turtler, Kotra, Martian Life,
>> RAMBots, Efni, Dragon's Hoard, Crystal Formation, Homeworlds, Martian Mud
>> Wrestling, The Martian Gathering, E, Breakthrough, Battle Zone,
>> Martianopoly, Invaders of Mars, and Gnostica.  Zagami should also be in
>> there I think, and probably others.
>
> I Am Not A Number was released in August 2001.
> 10 years is a long time for games.  While that may be intentional, to "weed
> out the cult of the new", I think it's probably too long.  5 years would
> probably be sufficient for such weeding.

I'm in favor of a ten year limit.  That's enough for some to become
enduring classics, some to be replaced, and others to be forgotten.
The list above is already overwhelming enough, even if we automatically
accept the five on the stereotypical starship captain list.

Granted, it would be interesting to see how many new games would be
eligible for each year.  We already have the 2009 and 2010 breakdowns;
does anybody care to go through 2001-2008?

To pick at another requirement, I have to wonder whether the Hall of
Fame should be limited to games based on their own merits, or whether a
measure of influence could come into play.  Consider Icehouse, for
example; I don't particularly like to play the game itself, but without
it, would I be here?  Should Zarcana's influence on Gnostica and Zark
City overcome its relative lack of popularity?

- Eric