Re: [Icehouse] Pentamid Twist: New Game Ready For Playtest

  • FromJeff Zeitlin <icehouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 15 Apr 2011 07:08:47 -0400
On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 14:25:27 +1200, you wrote to Freelance Traveller:

>Why do you rotate the coaster?

>That doesn't seem to achieve anything...

Sure it does - any pieces on the coaster change their positions when
it's rotated.  View the following with a fixed-pitch font.

+ = Player 1
- = Player 2
* = Empty space

Start of turn, Player 1 to move:

*+* *-*
*+* ++-
*** -*-

-*- ---
**+ +**
++* *+*

Player 1's piece action is to place a pyramid on the bottom-center space
of the top-left coaster:

*+* *-*
*+* ++-
*+* -*-

-*- ---
**+ +**
++* *+*

Now, player 1 takes his board action.  He rotates the top-left coaster
one-quarter turn counterclockwise...

*** *-*
+++ ++-
*** -*-

-*- ---
**+ +**
++* *+*

... and wins, with five-in-a-row on the second row.  Had he rotated the
bottom-right coaster one-quarter turn clockwise, Player 2 would have
won...

*+* *-*
*+* ++-
*+* -*-

-*- *+-
**+ +*-
++* **-

... with five-in-a-row up from the bottom of the rightmost column.